The Q&A Archives: Creasote Form Telephone Pole In Garden

Question: I am very limited on space for my garden. The only acceptable area I have has a telephone pole in it. How far away,
in feet, do you think it's safe to plant vegetables? I am worried about the Creasote leaching into the soil.

Answer: The answer to your question is going to depend on a number of factors, including exactly what was used to treat the pole, and whether or not there has been movement of it through the soil. I would suggest that you consult with the telephone company and perhaps your local county extension (837-1402)to see what their most up to date recommendations would be. In my experience, too, the utility company may have a right of way around the pile that could preclude you gardening there because it would impede access to the pole. As an alterntive, you might look at container gardening or perhaps using a raised bed in some other area of your yard. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.