The Q&A Archives: Sweet Lemon Tree

Question: I am looking for sweet lemon tree.
I am from Iran and we had sweet lemons there and here in US I buy sweet lemons from Middle Eastern grocery stores. They are great, however I cannot find the tree and I don't know where they get it from. Please help me find this tree so I can plant it in my back yard.

Answer: Sweetness in lemons has to do with a lower acidity content. Two of those considered less acidic than the standard commercially grown lemons are 'Improved Meyer' and 'Ponderosa'. These trees are often grown in southern California and should be available at a local nursery. Or, you can order from Pacific Tree Farms, 4301 Lynwood Dr., Chula Vista, CA 91910, ph# 619-422-2400; or Ornamental Edibles, 3622 Weedin Ct., San Jose, CA 95132, ph# 408-946-7333.