The Q&A Archives: Encouraging Blooms in Rose of Sharon

Question: My Rose of Sharon has no foliage or flowers. The wood of the plant is alive. Is it too early for it to have foliage? What can I feed it? The plant has bloomed in previous years but I don't remember the time of year. Peggy Figueroa Holmes, NY

Answer: I'm not sure if your weather has been like ours this spring (very damp and cold!), but make sure the shrub has adequate water now and through the summer. If other shrubs in your yard are leafing out, it should have started by now. As for fertilizer, a1/2 cup of 5-5-5 fertilizer sprinkled around the shrub, plus an inch or so of compost as a mulch will keep it well fed for the summer. If you haven't pruned your Rose of Sharon, before it does leaf out, cut out crowded, weak or damaged branches. Generally, Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) bloom in late summer and into the fall. If it doesn't leaf out in the next couple of weeks, let me know!