The Q&A Archives: Spraying Devices

Question: Hi-
I am looking for a device that can hold a LOT of liquid to be sprayed pump-style, with the device being held in one hand and the pumping mechanism in another. You know, the thing in all the cartoons. Generally, they're filled with insect repellant and sprayed all over the place. What is this device called and where can I find one? Thanks.

Answer: The old fashioned sprayer similar to a bicycle pump with a little cannister at one end is not used today, although I have occasionally seen them at flea markets as collectibles. (Here is a discussionof spray equipment available to gardeners today that you might find interesting.)
Instead, I think a trombone sprayer would possibly meet your needs since it can be used with a bucket or similar container instead of being attaches to a tank that has to be carried. Hudson is a brand you will see quite often.
I hope this is helpful.