The Q&A Archives: Soil Cubes

Question: I saw an old show called "Gardening Naturally" and Elliot Coleman was using several different size square metal forms to make soil cubes. You put your mix in the form and pushed a bar down and out popped a soil cube with an indention in the top for the seed. As the plant grows, you make a cube of the next size and the smaller cube with the plant fits right in. Anyway, where can I get these from? No garden center around here has them and the people look at you like you are crazy when you tell them about the form. I noticed burpee sells the cubes but not the forms to make them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Answer: You are not crazy. It's called a "soil blocker" (!) and is available from Charley's Greenhouse Supply under propagation supplies:

A web search using soil blocker as your terms may yield additional suppliers.