The Q&A Archives: Tips for Crotons, Propagating Spider Plants

Question: How much water does a crouton plant need? When replanting baby spider plants what is the best way of doing so? I just recently purchased a sweetish ivy plant what is the best way to keep them growing. Thank you. Pamela Gaver Massillon,OH

Answer: It sounds like you have quite a houseplant collection! The "crouton" plant you ask about - do you mean croton (Codiaeum), which is a foliage plant with variegated leaves? These are tropical plants that require a lot of water and well drained soil. In other words, the soil should not be saturated, but keep it moist. I've had success rooting baby spider plants by removing the babies and putting them in a vase of water until they grow roots, then potting them up. I've also found that rooting them in a pot of soil while they are still attached to "mom", and removed when they've grown their own roots, works well, too. It's hard to go wrong with Swedish Ivy. They like indirect light (in the middle of a bright room, or in a west or east window), soil that doesn't quite dry out between waterings, and occasional feeding. They grow vigorously, and need frequent pinching back to keep a bushy form. Each time you water, check the plant to make sure it's not growing long and out of control. Hope this helps!