The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Scale

Question: I am taking care of an indoor garden - the citrus trees and the hibiscus have become infested with whiteflies and scale. I've been using insecticidal soap, but I was wondering if you would have any other suggestions. Also, how could I prevent them from coming back? Daphne Vogel Plattsburgh, NY

Answer: You might want to try horticultural oil (AKA summer oil). This light grade oil can be used on most plants to kill scale and other pests. Check the label to see if it is registered on citrus and hibiscus. It is safe to use and effectively. Just do a test spray on some of the foliage to be sure it won't burn it. Horticultural oils should be available locally or from, Gardener's Supply Co 128 Intervale Rd. Burlington, VT 05401 1-800-863-1700