The Q&A Archives: Source For Wild Violets

Question: Short of going into the woods to find my own, (I'm 71 and too old to take a tramp in the woods), I would like to find out where I can get (buy or steal) wild violets - the ones like I saw when I was young in the Phila., Pa. area. These are the deep violet ones which grow in the shade under dogwoods and have heart shaped, deep green leaves. Can you help ???

Answer: Viola odorata, or sweet violets, are the flowers you remember from your childhood. I have a huge bed of these plants and they're wonderful! Plants are available at Molbaks Nursery in Woodinville or Watson's in Puyallup. They may be carried by a local nursery - why not phone one and ask? If you can't locate a convenient source of plants, you can order seeds from Thompson & Morgan, PO Box 1308, Jackson, NJ 08527.