The Q&A Archives: Rejuvenating a Dying Crimson Maple

Question: I had an in-ground swimming pool installed in my back yard 5 years ago.Ten feet away from the south end is a crimson maple tree. Slowly it began losing leaves and now it has just a handful of leaves left on it and many dead limbs. I'm afraid when the pool was dug, the backhoe, which sat directly under the tree has killed it both with exhaust and root damage. Anything I can do? Thanks. Rick Saniti Maplewood, MN

Answer: It doesn't sound good for the crimson maple tree. I'd prune off the dead branches, feed it with a liquid, all-purpose fertilizer such as Miracle Gro, water it well and pray. You might also be watching the local nurseries for sales on trees, because this one is probably on it's last legs.