The Q&A Archives: Growing Green Tea

Question: I would like to be able to make my own green tea, but I can find the exact herb or plant it comes from. I have heard so much about the health benefits of drinking green tea! Would I be able to grow it in Rhode Island?

Answer: Green tea we buy from a tea supplier is actually from the same tea plant, Camillia sinensus (syn. Thea sinensis), as the darker teas we also drink such as English breakfast tea. The difference is how the tea leaves are handled, with darker teas being more oxidized than the green tea leaves which are processed very little if at all. Tea comes from the plant Camillia sinensis (syn. Thea sinensis), a native of China, Indochina, and Thailand. In general, camillias like well-drained, slightly acidic, fertile soil that is rich with humus. It should neither stay excessively wet, nor suffer extended drought for best growth. The plant has been grown successfully in southeastern US, but would probably not survive in Rhode Island.