The Q&A Archives: Growing Gingko on a Wet Site

Question: I have been having some trouble growing an ornamental tree in a critical spot by a patio. I have tried 2 Bradford pears to no avail, and now I have a Gingko tree that I planted last fall. It is barely leafing out now. I know they are one of the last toleaf out, but I have seen stagnant growth on other Gingkos in the area. This location doesn't have the best drainage, but I planted slightly high this time. I thought the Gingko was a very hardy tree? Please advise. I am in Zone 5 just south of the Wisconsin/Illiniois border. Thanks! David Schachtner McHenry, IL

Answer: Any tree will have a hard time growing in a wet site. Most trees need well drained soil to grow and thrive --- even gingkos! I'd suggest you plant trees more adapted to the wet site such as silver maple and willow. They also need drainage, so raise the soil up in a mound above the soil in when planting to help keep the water drained around the roots.