The Q&A Archives: Summer Flowers for AZ

Question: What kind of flowers do the best in the Arizona sun during the summer time? I am tired of putting in new plants every month in the front of my house. I want something long term that I can enjoy and they need to be able to endure direct sunlight in our hot afternoons. Melody Tolliver Phoenix, AZ

Answer: There are indeed plants that will enjoy your yard. I'm consulting the book "Xeriscape Gardening: Water Conservation for the American Landscape", by Connie Elefson, et. al., and the plant list for your area includes these perennial flowers: desert marigold (Baileya multriadiata) and California Poppy. Annuals: African daisy, Goldfield (Lasthenia glabrata), Scarlet Flax, Lupine and Owl's Clover (Orthocarpus purpurascens). I also suggest that you contact the extension office (ph# 470-8086 ) - they should have a longer list for you, or can put you in contact with local garden clubs that can offer their advice and expertise. Hope this helps!