The Q&A Archives: Controlling Morning Glory Vine

Question: I have morning glory and some other pesty vine growing on a wire fence. I did not start it and I can't keep ahead of the vines from choking all other plants. I tried pulling it out and it keeps growing back. How do I get rid of it without killing all other plants? HELP. Fran Leonhard Middletown, PA

Answer: This is a tough weed to combat! It has many survival tactics that make it a successful plant. Just don't let it go to seed, as some seed remains viable for over 50 years! Apply heavy mulch between your plants (Barbara Pleasant, author of "The Gardener's Weed Book", says carboard covered with leaves works great). You'll have to be vigilant and pull up any that peek around the mulch barrier. Try to dig out the roots if you can. Hope this helps!