The Q&A Archives: Camellia Recommendation

Question: What species of Camellia is good for a shady, sheltered spot, to be planted in a large pot. Sasanqua or japonica?

Depending on the answer to the first question, what variety or varieties are longest-flowering?

Thank you!

Answer: Sasanqua camellia tends to be smaller and more refined than C. japonica, but both thrive in rich, moist soil. Sasanqua has smaller leaves and flowers, and tolerates more sunshine than japonica. All things being equal, your choice can be based upon appearance rather than adaptability to the site you describe.

Camellias bloom early (October-January), midseason (January-March), or late (March-May). Some produce single blooms and others produce double blooms. Color choices vary, as well. If I were planting a camellia, I'd choose C. japonica 'Mrs. Charles Cobb'. It blooms from mid- to late-season, producing large, semi-double, deep red flowers.