The Q&A Archives: Gardening In Puerto Rico

Question: I am moving to Puerto Rico in a few months. I would like to
get some information on gardening in a tropical climate, particularly vegetables. Many thanks.

Answer: . I would think that any plants grown as annuals would do fine there, and some may even be perennial in that environment. So vegetables like tomatoes, beans, eggplant, etc. (the heat-loving vegetables) should do well. I am not familiar with the weather there, especially at high altitudes. If you are growing bananas, then it must be mild! Some cool-weather crops like broccoli might not thrive there during the hot parts of the year--but may do well in winter. The timing and duration of any rainy seasons will affect what you can plant.

The Cooperative Extension Service has an office in Puerto Rico; the phone number is 787-833-2665. They would probably be your best source for advice.