The Q&A Archives: Causes of Mulberry Leaf Curl

Question: My folks have a mulberry tree that is approximately 8 years old. This year the leaves seem to be a lot smaller than normal and the leaves are curling up. They water on a regular basis. Would you know what is causing the curling and smaller leaf size? Thanks. Linda Johnson Tucson, AZ

Answer: The symptoms you describe could be caused by virus or microoganism infection, or the result of unusual environmental stress - I know your summer weather struck earlier than usual. Uneven moisture uptake can cause leaf curl and stunting, too, and this can be related to calcium deficiency in the soil. So it could be attributed to a number of causes. If it continues and looks like the tree could be in trouble, contact your extension office (ph# 628-5161) for a diagnosis. Hope this helps!