The Q&A Archives: Pruning Swedish Ivy

Question: Thanks so much for the information on my plants. When you said cut back on my Swedish ivy how far do you cut back. right now my plant is very long, probably about two feet long all the way the around. Do I cut as close to the pot, or does it matter?. Also can I replant what I have cut? Thank you again. Pamela S. Gaver Massillon, OH

Answer: I'm glad the information was helpful, if a bit incomplete! If your ivy is 2' long already, pinch the stems back to few inches (3"-4"), (so long as there are still leaves at that length) and they will branch from there. You'll need to keep pinching it back regularly to maintain the size and shape you desire. You can root the cuttings in water or by putting them in a pot of moist soil and keeping them out of direct sun. They root readily. You may end up with more plants than you want. But you can give them as gifts!