The Q&A Archives: Planting Near Walnut Trees

Question: I have a walnut tree close to my garden area and I know the chemical in the ground prevents me from growing certain vegetables such as tomatoes. What can I do to to combat the toxin so I can grow healthy plants? Thanks. Robert Mammolenti Mishawaka, IN

Answer: The chemical substance manufactured by walnut trees is called juglone. When the roots of susceptible plants come into contact with walnut roots, they can be stunted or killed. Walnuts are deep-rooted trees, and this fact may enable you to plant annualsnearby as long as they have shallower roots. Try raising the soil level in your garden by adding topsoil to give your plants a deeper root zone. There isn't anything you can add to the soil to counteract the juglone.