The Q&A Archives: Controlling Red Lily Beetles

Question: A red bug is eating my lilies--I've grown lilies for nearly 20 years and nothing has ever bothered them. This little red bug is quickly eating holes in the leaves. Please help!! Marianne Goldman Wellesley, MA

Answer: You're not alone! There is, indeed, a new lily pest. The red lily beetle was recently brought here from Europe. Your first line of defense is to hand-pick the beetles: examine your plants first thing in the morning and remove beetles, dropping them ina can of kerosene to kill them. If your infestation is not too severe, and you are diligent in your hand-picking, you may be able to control them this way. If the plants look infested, you might want to check with your local garden center for appropriate insecticides.