The Q&A Archives: Espaliered Fruit Trees

Question: I would like to espalier some pear, and possibly plum or apple trees along my property line. They would be in back of a perenial border. There is a large Manitoba Maple nearby, and young sugar maple, but because of the location, they would get lots of sunlight. The property is riverfront reclaimed land, and rather gravelly. Temperate zone is either 4a or 5b. What vareties would be best?

Answer: Pears and apples are often espaliered and adapt quite well to the training. Plums are such vigorous growers that training into a specific form can be challenging, but not impossible. Until you've racked up some experience, you might want to stick to apple and pear trees for your espaliers. In your gardening zone, try these dwarf apples: Court-Pendu Plat (Wise Apple), Cox Orange Pippin, Red Delicious and GoldRush. Pears grow best in zones 5-8, but a hardy one suitable for your area is Gourmet. You might also try Clapp's Favorite.