The Q&A Archives: Tomato Leaves Curl, Growth Stunted

Question: I have six tomato plants in my small garden contained in tomato cages . One of the plants appears to be stunted (compared to the others) and its leaves are curled upward. It also appears withered. I water all the plants the same each day. What isgoing on with this one plant?

Answer: Stunting and curled leaves can have several causes. Look for aphids within curled leaves. Nematodes (microscopic worms) that infest soils and tomato roots can caused stunted plants, malformed leaves, and yellowing. Bacterial canker causes leaf edges to curl upward, turn brown, wither, then die; the whole plant becomes stunted. Curly top, a virus, curls and twists leaves and stunts plants. Thickened, upward rolling, older leaves may be a sign of Psyllid Yellows. If you do not find aphids (a relativelyeasy-to-cure problem) and the symptoms appear to get worse, it may be time to dispose of the plant and avoid planting in the same hole with another tomato. In the meantime, check for further symptoms of disease, give the plant a good dose of fertilizer, and call me in the morning. Good luck and good gardening.