The Q&A Archives: Juniper Groundcover

Question: I would like to plant a fast growing, low profile juniper groundcover. My area can freeze at night even in the summer and can get below 0 in the winter. What is the fastest growing juniper groundcover for my area?

Answer: There are several low-growing, groundcover type Junipers, but none are very fast growing, so don't expect quick cover, unless you space your plants only 3'-4' apart. Of the spreaders and creepers, Juniperus sabina 'Blue Forest' is probably what you're looking for. It's a ground-hugger with bluish-green foliage, growing 10 inches tall at maturity, with a spread of about 4'. Another consideration might be Juniperus horizontalis 'Wiltonii', the blue carpet juniper, growing only 4" high with an 8'-10' spread. Junipers thrive in full sunshine and fast-draining, average soils.