The Q&A Archives: Licorice Flavor

Question: Whle in Russia we were served a cold salad dish on which there was lettuce, radish, green onion and a purple leaf, not unlike a dandelion that had a licorice flavor. Can you identify it and do you have seeds or root for however it grows ? Thank you in advance.

Answer: Without seeing the plant, I'm only guessing its true identity, but here's my best shot: Angelica leaves have a licorice-like flavor, and while the hollow stems have a purplish color, the leaves are green. On the other hand, licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is cultivated extensively in Russia, so it's possible that what you had was actually licorice. Either of these plants grows in full sunshine, in average soils. Seeds are available from Nichols Garden Nursery, 1190 Old Salem Rd. NE, Albany, OR 97321-4580.