The Q&A Archives: Germinating Texas Bluebonnet Seed

Question: This is a great site! Recently I found a display of Burpee seeds and came across your Wildflower Texas Bluebonnet seeds. I bought a few packets for some transplanted Texas friends. Their grandbaby has had surgery lately so I thought it would make a nice gift for the baby to see Texas bluebonnets. These seeds are not fast sprouters! They've been in a wet papertowel now for close to a week and only a couple have stuck a little of their necks out. Is there a secret to germinating these little hummers? Will they bloom next year if I ever get them big enough to plant outdoors, mulched reallly well? I look forward to reading your reply. Thanks. Pat Virginia Beach,VA

Answer: Your experience is common. Yes, there is a secret to getting Texas bluebonnet seeds to germinate. Their hard seed coats need to be broken prior to planting. One method is to freeze the seeds for two days, then pour boiling water over them, then soak them for two to three more days (drain and add more hot water daily). The germinated seeds should be planted in the late summer or early fall for spring flowering. After flowering next spring, allow the pods to dry completely before mowing.