The Q&A Archives: Landcaping in San Antonio, TX

Question: I live 20 miles north of center city in start of "Hill Country". The land is scrub oak and "cedar" (juniper?). I want to start ornamental shrubs around house and trees in yard. Please suggest those native or heat-loving and hardy in face of local water restrictions for that harsh climate. The style of my house is NOT suitable for cactus-look plants. I do not know if the soil is acid or alkyline but I do know I tried a grape arbor there before and it was "no go". Thanks. W. I. Philips San Antonio TX

Answer: There are actually lots of options for you to explore! So many, in fact, that I'd like a little more information to narrow down the list of choices. Are you looking for evergreen and deciduous plant material; how tall; flowering; etc. But first I suggest having a soil test performed as part of your recipie for success. Your extension office (ph#210/930-3086) can help you with testing information.