The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Gardening In The Shade

Question: I am planning a container garden on my balcony, but unfortunately it gets a lot of shade. One side, however, does get direct afternoon sunlight. I need advice on what plants would thrive and produce. Lettuce? Cherry tomatoes? Mini eggplant? Any chance for hot peppers or herbs?

Answer: Veggies do best with at least 6-8 hours of full sunlight a day. These vegetables will tolerate less, but they still need some sunlight: beets, carrots, kale, lettuce, potatoes, scallions, radishes, rhubarb, spinach, Swiss chard. Most herbs require alot of sun also, as they are native to the Mediterranean. Mint can tolerate some shade, but needs to be in its own container because it is very invasive. Tomatoes, eggplants and peppers all thrive with full sun.