The Q&A Archives: How Do I Use Capillary Mats For Starting Seeds?

Question: I generally start 8-10 flats of annuals in my basement each spring using standard 1020 plastic flats and 72 cell plastic seed trays. I always have a problem with over/under watering. A friend gave me a large sheet of capillary matting by a comapny called Humex. I have no instructions on how to use it and I can not locate the company on the Internet to ask them. Can you give me any suggestions on its use?

Answer: Capillary mats make watering easy as plants draw only as much water as they need. The capillary action of mat and potting soil draws moisture up to plant roots, for a healthy, constant supply. You can cut the mat into sections and line shallow trays, which will contain the water. Or, if overspill is not a problem, simply install on a level bench with poly sheeting beneath.