The Q&A Archives: Diseased Dracaena

Question: My dracaena has a sticky substance on the bottom of it's leaves nearest to the stalk of the plant. It is also losing 1-2 leaves from the bottom of the plant each week. What is the problem and how do I correct it?

Answer: I'd guess that there are insects feeding on your dracaena and they are excreting a substance commonly called 'honeydew'. Inspect the undersides of the leaves of your plant, looking for mealybugs, scale insects, aphids or whiteflies. Mealybugs look like cottony masses, scales are brown looking bumps, and aphids and whiteflies will flutter up if disturbed. If you find insects, try washing them off with plain water or gently wiping them off with a dampened soft cloth. Once you eliminate the sucking insects, the honeydew will no longer be produced, and your plant will regain its health.