The Q&A Archives: Good Habitat For Frogs

Question: Dear Garden Gurus,

Friends of mine are creating a frog pond in their yard this Spring. I would like to get them some plants that will be both good for the frogs and maybe even keep the raccoons away. My frog research suggests plants like lilies and good oxygenating plants (please understand, I have a brown thumb, and have no idea which plants would be oxygenating). So, if you have any suggestions as what would be helpful, especially regarding the raccoons (although I hold no hope there), I would be most grateful. I emailed, and Joanne Gaye suggested I contact you. Thank you in advance for your assistance

Answer: If you build a pond, frogs will come. Raccoons will eventually find it, too, and dealing with them is a real challenge. I drape birdnetting over my pond in the early spring and early fall through winter to discourage raccoons. It's not a very pretty sight but it keeps my fish alive! Water lilies, marsh marigold, water hyacinth, reeds, arrowhead, and yellow flag (water iris) are good plants to start with. Oxygenating plants are those that grow mostly under water. The plants will have specific requirements in regard to pond depth and your choice might be limited if it's a very shallow pond. A nursery specializing in aquatic plants will have an extensive list of plants suitable for your pond.