The Q&A Archives: Cholla Cactus Overtaking My Yard

Question: I have cholla cactus taking over my entire back yard. They are painful to me and have hurt both of my cats. Is there a natural way to get rid of some of them?

Answer: I know what you mean--my cat stepped on a chunk of jumping cholla and I had to take her to the vet to get the spines out! The only way I know of to get rid of this plant would be to dig it out. You can wrap some heavy cloth/burlap around the plant to protect yourself (somewhat). Reduce it in size first by pruning back some of the arms/clumps. However, since you are living in a desert area, they are probably all around and your cats can get in them elsewhere. So digging them all out is not necessarily a solution to the problem. Good luck!