The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover For Rock Walk

Question: What kind of plant could I put in the sand between the rocks in my rock walkway? We have a very dry climate coupled with a high altitude and cold barren winters. I have heard there is a lichen or something that will grow in this situaton. Do you know of anything? The walkway does not get much traffic. It can be watered on a regular basis if needed.

Answer: You didn't mention whether the site has a shady or sunny exposure, so here are a few heat-tolerant, perennial plant choices. Sun-lovers: Arabis (rockcress), dwarf Achillea (yarrow), Aethionema (stonecress), Androsace (rock jasmine), Echeveria, Cerastium tomentosum (Snow-in-Summer), Fragaria (wild strawberry), and Lewisia. Shade-lovers include Primula, Saxifraga, mat-forming Soleirolia soleirolii (baby's tears), and Pulmonaria (lungwort).