The Q&A Archives: Bottom Leaves Turning Brown And Droping Off Ficus Benjamina

Question: Just purchased one of your Ficus benjaminia and repotted about 3 weeks ago. Plant started to wilt and last week the lower leaves started to turn brown and drop off. The upper leaves look fine and healthy but the lower leaves are still turning brown and droping off.

Answer: There are several possible reasons why this might occur, but since you just repotted it I would suspect overwatering or possibly a poor match between the old soil and the new causing a root problem as a result. These plants are also very easy to "shock" when they are moved and tend to generally lose some leaves as a result of that, although I would expect this to be more overall than primarily at the base. The plant may also be reacting to a lower light level toward the lower part of the plant if you have it in a fairly dim location.