The Q&A Archives: Identifying a Trailing Plant with Heart-Shaped Leaves

Question: I just bought a plant from a colder reagion of our country and I would like to distinguish the species in order to take care of it properly. It is a very small potted plant with heart-shaped leaves (approx. half an inch across) with silvery-green veinson top and reddish-pink on the bottom. I noticed that the stems were rather weak and was crawling on an arching piece of thin wood. I would really appreciate it if you could provide the common as well as botanical name of the plant and how to take care of it. Thank you very much! Sharon Manila, Philippines

Answer: If your plant has trailing stems with the leaves attached one-after-the-other along the stems, it could be a rosary vine, Ceropegia woodii. These plants like very bright light or full sun and average indoor temperatures. Keep the plant slightly damp year-round, and feed it with a weak fertilizer solution once a month from March to August.