The Q&A Archives: Do You Carry An Anti-dessicant(anti-drying) Spray/powder To Prevent Leaves From "burning" During The

Question: I am having a problem with the leaves "burning"(drying out) as the summer season progresses(on my dogwood trees, especially on my kousa dogwood. Could this be reduced or prevented with an anti-dessicant(anti-drying) spray, AND do you carry such a product? THANKS!

Answer: Unfortunately, I do not think such a product would be effective in this instance. Tip burn can occur for a number of reasons, but on dogwoods I would suspect disease and/or improper watering. The soil should be kept evenly moist yet not sopping wet. A mulch can help maintain that condition through the hotter months, and some dappled shade or afternoon shade can also help. Newly planted trees will be more susceptible to soil moisture problems than more established trees, as well. You might want to consult with your county extension (599-6162) about the leaves to obtain a more precise diagnosis of the problem and any suggested remedies. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.