The Q&A Archives: Germinating Beans

Question: I purchased several packets of Burpee seeds...wax beans...peas....lima beans and I planted the wax beans about 3 weeks ago and then 2 weeks ago I planted the lima question at this point is that I am not seeing any life at all in the places I planted the wax beans or limas.....please help. Alice Sullivan Waretown, NJ

Answer: Beans like warm 60 degree soil for germination. If your soil was not warm enough when the beans were planted, they may be either waiting for the soil to warm up or rotting if the soil has remained too wet. To find out for sure, dig up a seed or two. Also, check the temperature of your soil. As long as it's 60 or above, the seeds should germinate soon. If they rotted, feel free to replant and they should take off now that the soil is warmer.