The Q&A Archives: Growing Squash on a Trellis

Question: I have a small (4x12) raised vegetable garden and would like to plant some acorn and winter squash but dont wan't the vines laying on the lawn. Can I build a trellis or will the fruit be to heavy to trellis? Any suggestions on how to build it? Thanks. Dave Draeger Hartland, WI

Answer: Growing your squash on a trellis not only saves garden space, it increases the yield of your plants. Any wooden trellis will do; most nurseries carry them. Or you can use 1-inch-mesh chicken wire attached to a wooden or metal frame. Summer squash varieties that vine, such as 'Yellow Straightneck' will easily climb up the supports. You can tie the vines to the trellis at 1-foot intervals. Squash can also be grown in 3'-4'-high wire cages. If any fruits grow so large they need support, you can tieold nylon stockings to the trellis to cradle them.