The Q&A Archives: When To Start Indoors?

Question: I bought the following seeds today, however these packets unlike others don't tell me when I should starting indoor planting.

Bean Kentucky Wonder
Squash Hybrid Zucchini
Cucumber Straight Eight
Squash Butterstick Hybrid
Lettuce Prizeleaf

Answer: In most cases, beans are planted directly in the ground where they are to grow, so you would not be transplanting them. The squash and cucumber grow very quickly from seed, so often they are also direct seeded. If you want to start them early, do it only about two weeks before the last frost date and plant them out within a month; they need warm soil and will not tolerate frost. If you start them too early indoors they do not do well at all. The lettuce can be grown from seed or transplant, too. Lettuce is a cool weather lover, and is often started in successive batches to keep fresh plants coming on. Seedlings can reach transplant size in just a few weeks.