The Q&A Archives: Discourage Agressive Rugosas -spray Or Paint Shoots With Vinegar?

Question: I planted a hedge of rugoses along the sea wall to hold the soil. Now they want to take over the perennial bed between them and the lawn. Im ready to transplant the many perennials and give up.I've tried barriers and digging individuals but they just multiply like the hydra.Help!

Answer: Although vinegar may work to discourage unwanted seedlings, established woody plants such as yours would take a more active approach. Repeated cutting to the ground combined with smothering the roots and excluding all light with a heavy layer of mulch atop a layer of cardboard or numerous layers of newspaper might eventually kill them off. Another approach would be to use an herbicide containing glyphosate applied carefully following the label instructions. You might need to reapply it, and be sure to use the formulation for brush. Also, be very careful not to allow the herbicide to contact desirable plants.