The Q&A Archives: Macadamia Nut Has Few Nuts

Question: My macadamia nut tree has lots of tassels but few nuts. Is there something I can do to aid pollenation?

Answer: There are two ornamental species (Macadamia ternifolia 'Beaumont' and 'Cooper'), and two nut-bearing species (M. integrifolia, the smooth shell macadamia, and M. tetraphylla, the rough shell macadamia). If yours is nut-bearing rather than ornamental, it could be a question of maturity, or poor pollination due to cold weather or lack of insect activity. If your tree is mature enough to set fruit, cool, wet weather during flowering might be keeping insects away. Give your tree a bit more time to become really productive and try planting something nearby that will be in flower at the same time as your tree. Bright flowers attract all kinds of pollinating insects. Hope you eventually have a bumper crop!