The Q&A Archives: Sour Cherry Varieties

Question: My neighbor has a small cherry tree in her yard that is covered in bright red cherries right now. They are tart, not sweet, and taste great. Do you know what type of cherry tree it might be? I'd love to have one of my own! Thanks so much! LeslieSpartanburg, SC

Answer: This might sound too obvious, but your friend has a sour cherry tree. There are many varieties; here's what I recommend for your climate. The first is a pair called 'Jan' and 'Joy' (plant one of each for pollination). These are bush-cherries (4' full grown). The other is 'Northstar', which is self-fertile (you only need one tree to get fruit), and grows 10'. 'Montmorency' is another fine variety. Two suppliers I can suggest are Edible Landscaping (; ph# 800/524-4156) and Miller Nurseries (5060 West Lake Rd., Canandaigua, NY 14424; ph# 800/836-9630). Since Edible Landscaping is located in Virginia, their southern-grown stock might be better adjusted to your climate. Hope this helps!