The Q&A Archives: Growing Chamomile in TX

Question: I am very interested in what variety of chamomile would grow in this area. I have planted some but they do not return - I take it that it would be considered an annual in this area due to the heat. Any suggestions? I am also interested in a planter in your catalog that was featured on Saturday Today Show on 5/24/97. It is made of wrought iron with coconut fiber liner -- looked approx. 12 X 36 . Can you give information about this planter or send a catalog? Betty Tarver Sherman, TX

Answer: I consulted Barbara Pleasant's book, "Warm-Climate Gardening", regarding your chamomile problem. She agrees that she needs to reseed it every other fall in order to maintain growth. However, there is a perennial ornamental variety that should do well in your garden. It's called St. John's Chamomile (Anthemis sanctijohannes). It grows 1'-3' tall and has orange flowers. You can order it from J.I. Hudson, Star Route 2 Box 337, La Honda, CA 94020 (sorry - no phone number!). The planter you saw is Burpee's Steel Frame Windowbox. The welded steel is plastic-coated to resist rust, are easy to attach to fences, railings and walls as well as under windows. You can fill them with your own sphagnum or Burpee's coco fiber liners. Planter dimensions 36" long x 9" deep x 9" wide. Price: $54.95. Liner: $12.95. Shipping: $3.50.