The Q&A Archives: Controlling Gill-Over-the-Ground (Glechoma Hederacea)

Question: I have a plant growing in my lawn called Gill-over-the-ground or Glechoma Hederacea. How do I get rid of it as it is a crawler and overtakes everything? JoAnne Rondestvedt Elroy, WI

Answer: I have a special fondness for this plant, as one of it's common names is "Creeping Charlie"! But I am still willing to make suggestions to help you reduce its presence in your lawn. G. hederacea enjoys growing in poorly drained soil, where it's harder for grasses to compete. Ideally, improving the drainage would even the score and the grass could win out on its own. If it's not a workable solution for you, then try raking the ivy up straight and mowing it close, and overseeding the area with avigorous perennial ryegrass variety. Ryegrass grows most competitively when mowed at 1-1/2"-2". This may not rid your lawn completely of the weed, but it will make your lawn look more like a lawn. Hope this helps!