The Q&A Archives: Geraniums that Fail to Blossom

Question: My very double pink geraniums develop many flower buds but they will not open. We live in coastal climate so humidity shouldn't be a problem. Can you help? I have had them in two locations, the former getting lots of late afternoon sun, and, if anything, they opened less than in their current fairly shady place. (They are in hanging baskets.) Is a nutrient missing? Alice Beveridge Newport Beach, CA

Answer: I can't say for sure, but your plants may be suffering from a nutrient imbalance rather than a deficiency. If you are fertilizing, make sure it's a formula suited to blooming plants. Overfertilization with nitrogen has a negative effect on blooming. You may want to check with the nursery where you purchased your pelargoniums to see if they have had similar problems, and find out how they handled it. Hope this helps!