The Q&A Archives: Rampant Indoor Morning Glories

Question: My morning glory seeds sprouted in 3 days and seem to be growing at an alarming rate! They are 3" tall in only a couple of days. Is this okay or do I need to do something to slow their growth for is still another month, at least, before I can plant outside.

Answer: Morning glories are fast-growing, vining plants. Don't try to slow their growth now or they may not perform well for you once transplanted outdoors. Try to provide support of some type - perhaps string running from the pots to a frame 12"-18" above the plants, or even birdnetting propped up so your plants can continue to climb on a supportive trellis. Keep the source of artificial light just above the plants, moving it up as necessary, so your plants will grow and twine according to their nature. I hope your weather warms up soon so the plants can go outdoors!