The Q&A Archives: Oxalis Weeds In Ice Plant

Question: My ice plant ground cover is infested with what I believe is Oxalis weeds (deep green leaves and stalks with bright yellow flowers on long stems). How do I eradicate them now and control their growth in the future?

Answer: Oxalis is one of those really difficult weeds to eradicate because it has storage organs just below the crowns of the plants. If you kill the tops with herbicide, the plant just manufactures new stems and leaves. The only real way to eliminate oxalis is to dig it out, roots and all. If you cover bare soil with a few inches of organic mulch it will shade the soil enough to keep weed seeds from germinating until your ice plant fills in the area. Any herbicide effective against weeds will damage your ice plant as well. Wish there were an easier solution, but the best way to take control is to hand dig the weeds, then mulch over bare soil to keep new weeds from cropping up.