The Q&A Archives: Planting Seeds In Peat Pots

Question: I sell new homes in Washington County, Maryland. I am hosting an event for all homeowners in which they will be able to plant seeds in peat pots. This is so they will be able to start a garden when their new home is complete. Children will also be involved. What types of seeds should I buy for planting in peat pots? They can be either indoor or outdoor plants. I'm also looking for the best value.

Answer: Without knowing how long they will need to keep the plants it is a bit difficult to make a suggestion. In my experience, sunflowers do very well started in peat pots, the seeds are large enough for small children to handle easily, they germinate fast and can be transplanted quickly. For a longer term project, they might use marigold seeds or even cherry tomato seeds. Sicne they need use only a few seeds per pot, the cost should be pretty reasonable no matter what you select.