The Q&A Archives: Roses for the Beginning Gardener

Question: I'm interested in growing roses in my garden. I want something that I won't need to spray for diseases, and I wondered about the roses in your catalog. It said that Miss All American Dream is disease resistant, but what about the other Hybrid Teas,such as Cajun Spice or Tropical Breeze? Are there any other easy roses you would suggest for a beginning rose-gardener that don't need spraying or too much attention? Sarah Steinberg High Bridge, NJ

Answer: Hybrid tea roses in general need more care than other types of roses as far as disease and insect controls. If you really want carefree roses try the following, 'Carefree Wonder', 'Carefree Beauty' and 'Bonica'. These varieties have nice shapes, large flowers that blooms all season long, but they are hardier and less troubled by pests than the classic hybrid teas.