The Q&A Archives: Lisianthus Care

Question: My husband got several flats of lisianthus from you. They were healthy when received, but have steadily declined. I have tried more water, less water, sandier soil, more peat, etc. etc. They have turned yellow and die...please tell me something about their care and feeding. I'm pretty sure that it isn't a disease, but rather some nutritional/environmental problem. How can I get the ones that are still living to turn green and thrive?

Answer: Lisianthus requires full sun, fairly good garden soil (although nothing extravagant), perfect drainage, and average water and fertilizer. Night-time temperatures of 60-65 and daytime temps of 70-75 degrees are best for growing on small seedlings. Lower temperatures, especially combined with a soil that is too wet, can lead to root diseases (symptoms: yellowing leaves!). Also, it's not uncommon to get some leaf yellowing just after transplanting seedlings. It may be a matter of time (2-3 weeks) before the slow young plants settle in and get their new set of legs.