The Q&A Archives: Jacaranda In Sonoma?

Question: Hello, we have just moved up to Sonoma County. . . can Jacaranda trees thrive up here? I fell deeply in love with them in So. Cal., and we need to create a bit of privacy on our new property. Our soil is very fertile red soil, with about 2 acres of vitis vinifera growing happily...among other things like roses, rosemary, apple trees, fig trees, mint, tomatoes, alpine strawberries...and on. Also, are there any plants that we absolutely should NOT introduce, due to the grapes and their wide rooting system? Thanks very much.

Answer: The trees are spectacular, aren't they? Jacaranda will grow in your gardening zone as long as the weather cooperates. Young trees will need protection from frost. New growth is tender and will be damaged at temperatures below 25F, but established trees will come back after a hard frost. If you plant one, watch it carefully for the first few years. If a cold snap threatens, protect your tree to minimize damage.

I'd be wary of planting willows and cherry trees - both have vigorous, invasive roots. Bamboo is another plant I'd keep in a container rather than planting in the ground!