The Q&A Archives: Bermuda Grass

Question: I was hoping you could help me with some lawn problems. 1) I have a Bermuda lawn and my neighbor has a Fescue lawn. I have a problem keeping his Fescue from encroaching into my lawn. I mow my lawn very low with a reel tip mower and I had hoped that this would eventually kill the Fescue. Unfortunately, the Fescue is still thriving. 2) My lawn this year has suffered an unusually large amount of winter kill despite the fact that I watered throughout the winter. What is a good fertilizer to use this time of year? 3) What can you recommend to kill crabgrass and broad leaf weeds in a Bermuda lawn. Whatever help you can offer is appreciated. Peter Wierzba Lubbock, Texas

Answer: Other than some type of border such as lawn edging or planting a hedgerow of plants, I don't know how you'd keep the fescue from encroaching on your lawn. I would fertilize your lawn in fall with a complete organic fertilizer that doesn't have ahigh analysis of nitorgen such as 5-10-10. Now that summer is fast approaching, I don't think you'd want to fertilize. For crabgrass control, there is a new product based on corn gluten that's available as a preemergent herbicide and should be applied now. It's called by a variety of names and available through the following company, Gardeners Supply Co 128 Intervale Rd. Burlington, VT 05401 800-863-1700